Woodard Strategic Leadership of Teaching and Learning
A programme for all members of school leadership teams
This programme for senior leaders helps participants to reflect upon and develop their strategic leadership skills so that they can ensure teaching and learning are functioning as effectively as possible in their schools. The course allows leaders to focus in detail on the core business of schools, recognising that if teaching and learning is right in a school then many of the organisation's objectives will be achieved as a result.
The programme is based on the persuasive evidence that there is a body of skills and knowledge which all of the best senior leaders should possess. It is, however, also recognised from the outset that all school contexts are different. The programme will give participants exposure to the best practice and then allow them to apply it in their own school's circumstances.
We intend that this programme should be professional development in its widest sense, thought provoking and intellectual as well as of significant practical benefit. It will above all be relevant to senior leaders wanting to perform at the highest level and to make their schools as successful as possible.
Elements of the programme
During the programme participants will learn more about and reflect upon the following areas. This will help them to develop both their own performance and that of their schools:
- what does it mean to lead strategically and how do you do it?
- what is effective teaching and learning? Is it about academic attainment, progress, engagement, enjoyment, all of these or something else?
- how do you lead teaching and learning with credibility?
- how do you create a wider school environment which facilitates the highest quality of teaching and learning?
- what should you be looking for when evaluating teaching and learning?
- how should you collect and analyse information?
- what interventions can you use to improve the quality of your school's practice?
- how can you create an effective whole school team to evaluate and improve practice?
- how can you change people's ways of working and thinking?
Other important information
- the programme will provide participants with a bank of practical approaches toimprove the strategic leadership of teaching and learning in their schools.
- after the face to face professional development day, participants will link with another colleague on the programme to share their experiences of developing their schools' strategic approaches to teaching and learning. Guidance from a Wren Academy colleague will be available as part of this discussion.
Forthcoming Professional Development Dates
Strategic Leadership of Teaching and Learning
The next course date is on Tuesday 14 November 2017.
To book yourself on one of our courses or to find out more about any of our professional development programmes or other opportunities provided by the Hub please contact Susan.Hannigan@wrenacademy.org